The Future is now – The Advania 21st Fall Conference
The 21st Advania Fall Conference was held at the Harpa Conference Centre in Reykjavik, Iceland, on the 4th of September 2015. It was attended by 1.000 Scandinavian business leaders and specialists and featured 28 presentations from such technology leaders as The European Space Agency (ESA), Daimler-Benz, Google, Össur, Rekode, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Websense Raytheon, NCR, Outsystems, Veeam and Vivaldi. Before the lunch break, the conference too place in the impressvie Eldborg auditorium and had the following contributors:
- Opening Act. Sævar Helgi Bragason, University of Iceland
- Rosetta: To Catch a Comet! Professor Mark McCaughrean, Scientific Advisor, European Space Agency
- The Promises and Pitfalls of Autonomous Driving. Dr. Ralf G. Herrtwich, Director Driver Assistance and Chassis Systems, Daimler-Benz
- Introducing the First Mind Controlled Bionic Prosthetics for Lower Limb Amputees. Kristleifur Kristjánsson MD, Medical Officer, Össur
- The Digital Revolution - Technology Aside. Andreas Ekström, Author & Journalist, Sydsvenskan
- Deep Learning on Big Data, and using Coin Flips to get Statistics with Privacy. Úlfar Erlingsson, Google
- Create, Collaborate, Code. Rakel Sölvadóttir & Ólína Helga Sverrisdóttir (TechOlina),
reKode Education / Skema
- Q&A Session: The Secret Behind Innovation. Gestur G. Gestsson, CEO of Advania, Jón Tetzchner, Vivaldi. Moderated by Gísli Marteinn Baldursson, Loeb Fellow at Harvard Graduate School of Design
”Getting to speak at the Harpa, the astonishing venue in the Reykjavik harbour, in front of an engaging crowd, is something I won’t forget."
- Andreas Ekstrom, Author, public speaker and journalist at Sydsvenskan Newspaper
"What a venue! What a crowd! You probably come to Iceland with an expectation of remoteness, isolation, and a very much down-to-earth attitude. What a misconception! The 2015 Advania Fall Conference was a vibrant hub of innovation and networking, a lively exchange of state-of-the-art technology and mind-boggling ideas. I was truly thrilled to be part of this experience!"
- Prof. Ralf Herrtwich, Director Advanced Engineering and Group Research / Driver Assistance and Chassis Systems at Daimler
Watch a video from the conference
Presenters on the stage at the Harpa auditorium. It featured among other things the Advania coffee shop manned by Arni our coffee connoisseur.
This session demonstrated clearly that technology that once was in the realm of science fiction is now a reality and is having profound impact on all aspects of our lives and business.
After the lunch break the conference was divided into three tracks: Management, Innovation and Technology & Security. Each track featured six presentations. In addition, there was a break out session on the hybrid cloud hosted by HP Helion.
The Exhibition Area
The Technology & Security track featured the following presentations
- The Evolving Threat Landscape. Don Smith, Technology Director, Dell Secureworks
- Data Theft Prevention - Own Your Asset Before Your Adversary. Neil Thacker, Information Security & Strategy Officer EMEA, Raytheon | Websense
- Consistently Beat Deadlines for IT Projects With Rapid Application Delivery. Mário Araújo, Senior Product Manager, Outsystems
- Fighting Internet Criminals With Digital Forensics. Herwig Lejsek, Videntifier
- Enabling The Always-On Business. Martin Plesner-Jacobsen, System Engineer Iceland/Denmark, Veeam Software
- Upgrading to Windows 10, Johan Arwidmark, Chief Technical Architect, Knowledge Factory/Advania
The Management track featured the following presentations
- The Challenge of Leading in the Digital Age. Dr. Þóranna Jónsdóttir, Dean School of Business at Reykjavik University
- The Transaction Economy: Making Every Day Easier For Consumers and Business. Maarten Bais, Area Director Northern Europe, NCR
- Rapid Growth Aided by Technology, Håkan Edlund, Team Leader CIC, Group IT, Lindorff Group
- A Great Team and Modern Management is the Key to Success. Skúli Eggert Þórðarson, Director of Internal Revenue, Directorate of Internal Revenue
- A Remote Workplace to Support WSPs strategy. Gustav Lind, Nordic IT director, WSP
- Is There a Need to Democratize Data in Your Organization? Måns Barklund, Technology Solution Professional Business Intelligence, Microsoft
The Innovation track featured the following presentations
- Using Virtual Reality to Test How People Feel in Future Urban Environments. Hannes Högni Vilhjálmsson, Asscociate Professor, Reykjavik University (In Icelandic)
- Transforming Innovation with Crowd Funding. Ingi Rafn Sigurðsson, Founder, Karolina Fund
- From an Idea to a Building a Business. Hugi Þórðarson, Programmer and Founder, Strimillinn
- Monitoring Earthquakes and Eruptions.Kristín Jónsdóttir, Coordinator of Natural Hazards Monitoring, Icelandic Meteorological Office (Video in Icelandic)
- How is Collaboration in the Tourism Industry Increasing Sales and Productivity? What Does the Future Bring? Hjalti Baldursson, CEO, Bókun
- Corporate Entrepreneurship – An Oxymoron? Einar G. Guðmundsson, Arion bank
Landing on a comet!
The conference had an exhibition area where attendees could see the latest and greatest products and solutions from the conference sponsors:
- Platinum Sponsor: Dell
- Gold Sponsor: HP Helion
- Silver sponsors: Service Now, Interactive Intelligence and Intel Security
The conference also featured NCR, Microsoft, Advania, Veeam and Staminus Communications as exhibitors.
Networking in the coffee break
Lastly but not least the conference featured a key note speech by Gísli Marteinn Baldursson, a recent Harvard graduate and an Icelandic TV celebrity.
All in all the conference was a great success and we look forward to welcome you to the 22nd Fall Conference in early September 2016.